I'm forgetting what the LJ post page looks like - yikes, that's alarming!
I am still alive and ticking :P
Here is the Omnivore Meme, stolen from hitharien
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
all the items you’ve eaten.
any items that you would not normally consider eating.
4) Make recommendations of specific places/products when possible.
The VGT Omnivore's Hundred:
1. Venison -
tasty kind of sweet thin slices of deer (i believe they were smoked?)
2. Nettle tea -
I like this a lot. Nice with some honey.
3. Huevos rancheros - is this the Mexican farmers' breakfast?
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile - no but did have Alligator
in Florida... tastes like chicken!
6. Black pudding - Did have the Polish take on this, blood sausage...not a fan.
7. Cheese fondue
- not a fan. It is traditionally eaten as one of the 12 dishes for Polish Christmas Eve. I've had the live one swim in my tub in Poland couple of times too before it was deadified and transformed into a dish :P We do other fish now. I dont like many freshwater fish in general (but trout fried with some butter...mmmm)
9. Borscht -
haha, but for us its spelled Barszcz,
silly meme folks! Mmmm with mushroom dumplings (uszka)
10. Baba ghanoush
- wasn't a huge fan the few times I had this... kinda meh.
13. PB&J sandwich
- weird and I dont eat this regularly at all :P
14. Aloo gobi
- love it and recently started making my own version as I am craving it
15. Hot dog from a street cart - many times. The Toronto ones when I was in Grad school. I love the polish sausage one from a Polish lady's hotdog cart in one of our Lakshore parks here... or in front of our Polish supermarket....Guilty pleasure!
16. Epoisses (Cheese)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
- black currant, red currant...
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream -
I love the Polish version I grew up with... havent tasted one like that anywhere in Canada, and I dont know if they still make those old fashioned good ones in poland too
21. Heirloom Tomatoes - Im not sure what we're talking about here...
22. Fresh wild berries
- mmmmm fresh wild blueberries and wild strawberries (poziomki) from Polish forest.... I dream of the wild strawberries and crave them intensely (they dont have them here.)
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head
cheese - thats one type of Polish cold cuts... not a big fan
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet Pepper - dont know what this is
27. Dulce de leche
- not a fan as of yet
30. Bagna cauda [vegetable dip - olive oil, butter, garlic & anchovies]
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float - they look gross :P I dont like root beer and mixing any non-dairy / non alcohol liquid with ice cream doesnt appeal to me :P
with a fat cigar - without the cigar, obviously
37. Clotted Cream Tea - sounds interesting
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
- hahaha jello shots? yes.
43. Phaal - dont know what this is
44. Goat's milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
- from a bottle my mom bought for the BOTTLE itself (an elephant, from hand blown glass). The nasty stuff is now stuck in some old Napoleon brandy bottle. EWWW. Tastes like soap/rubbing alcohol and smoke flavour.
- I have trust issues. I would not trust any chef to prepare it :P
47. Chicken tikka masala
- particlar MMMMM for unagi - barbecued eel used in sushi
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
- dont know what the deal is, I like Tim Horton's (our Canadian Donut mogul) better :P Not a big donut person anyways. TOO SWEET!
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi [pickled Japanese "plums" (related to apricots). Very tart.]
54. Paneer -
love it and will try to make by myself soon :)
55. McDonalds Big Mac Meal - ewww
56. Spaetzle - not sure what it is, though I've heard my mother talk about it I think as some Austrian/German thingy... maybe type of noodles?
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine[French fries in cheese curds and gravy]
- Of course I've had it, I live in Canada! :)
60. Carob chips - but I did have Taro chips!
- what is this? I assume its some type of sweet bun/pasty? I had many of those :P
63. Kaolin - dont know what this is
64. Currywurst - is this a curry sausage?
65. Durian [fruit]
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake -mmmm
68. Haggis - I have had the Polish version of tripe soup many times, not a fan
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost - the what?
76. Baijiu - dont know what this is
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - not sure what special type that is :P
- love the garlic butter garnish, but I hate the chewy texture. Not a fan. I dont like chewwwwy seafood (with the exception of well made calamari) or escargots for that reason...
79. Lapsang souchong [tea]
80. Bellini -
mmm could use one now!
81. Tom yum - mmmm
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare -
I had rabbit, I think thats similar enough. I had it under the perception that it was chicken. It tastes kinda like chicken. I dont have it and wont have it anymore, but solely for psychological/humanitarian reasons.
88. Flowers -
mmm in Hawaii!
90. Criollo chocolate
- many types of canned luncheon meat in Poland, similar to spam
92. Soft shell crab
- in Spider Rolls (sushi maki)
93. Rose harissa
95. Mole poblano [dark, rich, spicy chicken mole]
96. Bagel and lox
Thermidor - I dont know what Thermidor is. I did have lobster, and enjoy it much... mmm with butter.
- nothing special
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee